Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Can you love if you are afraid?

I have been asking myself this question after listening to a podcast at Emergent Village link. I do not think you can.

In 1 John it says, 'There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.' I think that this is what the Israelite's faced when they saw God at Mt Sinai. They were afraid, and so they could not love God. They got the law which told them how to love God, but it is impossible to love God when we are afraid. Jesus said, "Therefore I tell you. do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear." When we are worrying we are afraid of what will come. When we are afraid of what will come we are not looking around us. We are looking to the future. I have come to the conclusion that nothing that happens to me can be that bad because I have God with me. With God I can walk through anything!! This helps me to enjoy my life more, and to enjoy the people around me more. It does not matter what they think of me. I have God, and he is enough.

I have only come to this understanding by allowing Christ to change me into his image. I tried to live in the moment by myself, but I could not do it in my own power. I think this is where the children of Israel were. Christ had not died for them yet, and so they did not have the power that we have today. They found that they could not follow the law in their own power. Just as we can not live the life that God has called us to live in our own power. It only comes from surrendering ourselves to the Spirit and allowing Him to change us into the image of Christ. This change does not always happen over night, and it is never 100% easy, but as we put on the yoke of our Lord we find that life is much more fun, and easier than it ever was before.

No matter what happens to me I know that I can walk through it with my Lord. This makes life worth living.

1 comment:

Ravi said...

I liked your thoughts on this. I thought I would post some thoughts from http://lifegathering.bravejournal.com as it resonates with yours here:

"As I was sensitively seeking Him, the spirit of the Lord led me to Acts chapters 6 and 7. The Lord spoke to me about the life of Stephen. He was a man full of faith and power in the Word Of God. In the midst of persecution he was never fearful. He was so courageous because he was full of the love of God. 1 John 4:18 says 'There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.' His love is always amazing. He created us by His spoken Word.....then He redeemed us with tears and pain... by Him giving us His only begotten Son, Christ Jesus our Savior. The more I think of Him, the more His love amazes me! As I continued to meditate....He spoke to me through Matthew 13:45-46, 'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.' Am I this fine pearl? Did my Abba Father pay His only begotten Son as the ultimate price so that He can have me? It simply brings tears to my eyes. I am bought with a price...the price of His blood... that I may now live in the power of His Word. As a precious pearl in His Kingdom, I want to be loved by Him...more and more...to live a pleasing life unto Him. His Love continues to amaze me everyday."