Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The God of Abraham The Fear of Isaac

I came across an interesting description of God. Jacob repeats it several times in Gen 31:42, and several other places Jacob calls God The Fear of Isaac. Why is this?

When it says in 1 John 4:18 'There is not fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.'

My only conclusion to this is that Isaac was not able to build the relationship with God that his father had. His father was a friend of God, but Isaac feared God. I do believe that God wanted to have the same relationship with Isaac that He had with Abraham, but was not able to have it. Isaac feared the punishment of God. This is why Jesus came to this earth. He came so that we could have that relationship with God without fear. God loved us so much he wanted to have a relationship with us. He knew that there was no chance of relationship as long as there was still the fear of punishment from God. He sent Jesus to us to take that punishment. We no longer have to look at God and fear. We can now look at God as a friend. We can have the same relationship with God that Abraham had. We can be known as a friend of God.


God loves us so much that He took the fear of punishment and destroyed it. It is gone forever. Praise be to God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry, I know you made this entry over 18 months ago, but I just found it now; I came across Fear of Isaac in Genesis today as I was reading the Bible; its interesting, I have read this part of the Bible so many times, but its the first time this caught my attention; that's what I love about the Lord's Word; it truly is alive and continues to open new things to me no matter how many times I read it.

Fear---doesn't always mean afraid or terror --- I did some research about this

Fear (as defined in the dictionary in the back of my Bible) means "profound reverence and awe toward God"

so Isaac had profound reverence and awe toward God

Isaac put God in His proper place -first in his life, worshipped him - awe means amazement and reverential fear

so Isaac was totally amazed with the Lord and what the Lord did in his life, totally praised the Lord, totally respected the Lord

(that's the type of love I want to have for the Lord)

I hope you do read this :)

(at least this is how I interpretted this verse when I read it :)